My research focuses on the responses and feedbacks of biogeochemical cycles (such as CO2, CH4, and H2O) in vegetation ecosystems (e.g., forests, peatlands) to global environmental changes. I am working with land surface models (ELM, CLM) to explore the interactions among climate change, biogeochemical processes, and physical properties and to understand their control mechanisms. Integrated data analyses of flux towers, field inventory, lab measurements and remote sensing are also involved in my research.
American Geophysical Union
Ecological Society of America
Associate Editor: Frontiers in Forests and Global Change
Recent presentations and posters:
- Fenghui Yuan, Daniel Ricciuto, Daniel Roman, Jeffrey Wood, Xiaofeng Xu, Erik Lilleskov, Angela Lafuente, Rodney Chimner, Kristell Hergoualc’h, Laura Bourgeau-Chavez, Hinsby Cadillo-Quiroz, Randall Kolka, Lizardo Fachin, Timothy J Griffis. Spatiotemporal Heterogeneity of Methane Emissions in Peruvian Amazonian Peatlands: A Modeling Approach. AGU Fall Meeting 2022. Oral presentation.
- Fenghui Yuan, Daniel Ricciuto, Xiaofeng Xu, Xue Feng, Randall Kolka, Stephen Sebestyen, Daniel Roman, Timothy Griffis. Comparison of ELM_SPRUCE simulations of methane emissions from fen and bog peatlands in northern Minnesota. 2022 SPRUCE All-Hands Meeting. Oral presentation.
- F. Yuan, D. Ricciuto, X. Xu, D. Roman, J. Wood, E. Lilleskov, H. Cadillo-Quiroz, R. Kolka, L. Fachin, T. Griffis. Improving the E3SM Land Model Simulations of Carbon Fluxes for an Amazonian Palm Swamp Peatland. AGU Fall Meeting 2021. Poster.
- F. Yuan, T. Griffis, D. Roman, J. Wood, A. Lafuente, E. Lilleskov, H. Cadillo-Quiroz, R. Kolka, J.Rengifo, L. Fachin, R. Chimner, C. Wayson, K. Hergoualc’h, D. Ricciuto. Biophysical Processes and Feedback Mechanisms Controlling the Methane Budget of an Amazonian Peatland. DOE ESS PI Meeting 2021. Oral Presentation.
- F. Yuan, D. Ricciuto, X. Xu, D. Roman, J. Wood, E. Lilleskov, L. Fachin, R. Kolka, T. Griffis. Modeling Methane Emissions in an Amazonian Palm Swamp Peatland with the E3SM Land Model. AGU Fall Meeting 2020. Poster.
- F. Yuan, D. Ricciuto, X. Shi, F. Yuan, P. Hanson, P. Thornton, X. Xu. Warming and elevated CO2 stimulate CH4 emission with different mechanisms in a temperate peatland. ESA Annual Meeting 2019. Poster.
- Fenghui Yuan, Daniel M. Ricciuto, Xiaofeng Xu, Daniel T. Roman, Erik Lilleskov, Jeffrey D. Wood, Hinsby Cadillo-Quiroz, Angela Lafuente, Jhon Rengifo, Randall Kolka, Lizardo Fachin, Craig Wayson, Kristell Hergoualc’h, Rodney A. Chimner, Alexander Frie, Timothy J. Griffis. Evaluation and improvement of the E3SM land model for simulating energy and carbon fluxes in an Amazonian peatland. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 2023. 332, 109364. doi:10.1016/j.agrformet.2023.109364.
- Liu, Jianzhao, Fenghui Yuan, Yunjiang Zuo, Rui Zhou, Xinhao Zhu, Kexin Li, Nannan Wang, Ning Chen, Ziyu Guo, Lihua Zhang, Ying Sun, Yuedong Guo, Changchun Song and Xiaofeng Xu. Warming-induced vegetation growth cancels out soil carbon-climate feedback in the northern Asian permafrost region in the 21st century. Environmental Research Letters 17, no. 8 (2022): 084009. (Shared first authorship)
- Xinhao Zhu, Fenghui Yuan, Liyuan He, Ziyu Guo, Nannan Wang, Yunjiang Zuo, Jianzhao Liu, Kexin Li, Yihui Wang, Ying Sun, Lihua Zhang, Changchun Song, Yanyu Song, Chao Gong, Yowhan Son, Dufa Guo, Xiaofeng Xu. Wetland conversion to cropland alters the microbes along soil profiles and over seasons. Catena 214 (2022): 106282. (Shared first authorship)
- Fenghui Yuan, Yihui Wang, Daniel M. Ricciuto, Xiaoying Shi, Fengming Yuan, Thomas Brehme, Scott Bridgham, Jason Keller, Jeffrey Warren, Natalie Griffiths, Stephen Sebestyen, Paul J. Hanson, Peter E. Thornton, Xiaofeng Xu, Hydrological feedbacks on peatland CH4 emission under warming and elevated CO2: a modeling study, 2021, Journal of Hydrology. 603,127137.
- Fenghui Yuan, Yihui Wang, Daniel M. Ricciuto, Xiaoying Shi, Fengming Yuan, Paul J. Hanson, Peter E. Thornton, Xiaofeng Xu, An Integrative Model for Soil Biogeochemistry and Methane Processes: II. Warming and Elevated CO2 Effects on Peatland CH4 Emission, Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences. 2021, 126, e2020JG005963.
- Fenghui Yuan; Jianzhao Liu; Yunjiang Zuo; Ziyu Guo; Nannan Wang; Changchun Song; Zongming Wang; Li Sun; Yuedong Guo; Yanyu Song; Dehua Mao; Feifan Xu; Xiaofeng Xu; Rising vegetation activity dominates growing water use efficiency in the Asian permafrost region from 1900 to 2100, Science of The Total Environment 2020, 736, 139587.
- Fenghui Yuan; Jiabing Wu; Anzhi Wang; Dexin Guan; Yushu Zhang; Kavita Irene Rajah-Boyer; Xiaofeng Xu; A semiempirical model for horizontal distribution of surface wind speed leeward windbreaks, Agroforestry Systems, 2020, 94: 499-516.